Troy Independent School District

Skip to main content
Our District » About Us

About Us

About Troy ISD

Troy Independent School District was established in 1896 to serve the children in the communities of Troy, Pendleton, Little Mexico, Belfalls and Oenaville. Located on Interstate 35 between Waco and Temple, Texas, Troy is a rural, agricultural-based community with small businesses and manufacturing companies. The mission of the Troy Independent School District is to provide students the opportunity to develop the ability to think logically, independently, and creatively, as well as to communicate effectively; educating the whole child. Four campuses serve approximately 1,280 students in early childhood through grade twelve. One hundred-sixty teachers and support staff work together to provide a caring and challenging environment in the educational process of all Troy ISD children, following the Texas Education Agency's goal of excellence and equity in achievement for all students.

Mission Statement

Our district, as the educational center for excellence, provides the foundation for a safe, positive and enjoyable learning experience. In partnership with the community, Troy ISD models exemplary practices to empower our students to maximize their potential for success.


History

The earliest record of any school in the area now known as Troy dates back to October 4, 1879 when Owen S. Carpenter and his wife, M.K. Carpenter, deeded to J. H. Porter, D.N. Smith and J.Q. Thompson, trustee, one acre of land on King's Branch in Bell County. The school was known as King's Branch Free School and was located east of King's Branch and a little south of where the old Curtis homeplace is located.

J. H. Porter and several men of the community took wagons and teams to Waco to get lumber for a one-room structure. According to a history written by I. D. Ellis in 1926, Miss Cornelia Robinson was the first teacher.

In 1882 when Katy Railroad was built through the community, an increased enrollment necessitated a larger building and another teacher. Judge J.J. Lowery and his assistant professor, C.L. Myers, were employed to teach the enlarged school. The school was ungraded, and pupils were ranked according to which reader they completed. The school building was destroyed by a tornado in 1885.

In 1886, the citizens of Troy raised money to build a six-room two-story building with help from the Masonic Lodge and Shiloh Grange. A second tract of land was donated by the Carpenters and was to be used exclusively for school purposes or it and all its improvements would revert to the benefactors or their heirs. An enlargement of the school district brought about the name change from King's Branch School District #29 to Troy Independent School District #68.

In 1895, C.L. Myers was elected superintendent for three years and was given authority to select his assistants and pay their salaries out of the funds made available by the trustees. During his first year, Professor Myers graded the school and graduated one pupil, Oscar Lusk in May of 1896. Angus G. Vick, was graduated in 1897.

By 1912 it was necessary to vote bonds to replace the inadequate wooden building. A three-story brick structure was ready for the pupils in September 1912.

During World War I, much of the school population got into trouble when they rushed out to see an airplane which had lit suddenly in Earl Thompson's oat field adjoining the school ground. Those who made it across the barbed wire fence got a whipping and others got 25 demerits.

In 1920-21, the eleventh grade was added, and some of the graduates of the 1920 class returned for additonal schooling. R.N. Wilson, a graduate of Texas University, was superintendent. In June 1926, the school received its full accreditation of 15 credits, enabling its graduates to enter college without taking entrance examiniations.

As the dirt roads were graveled or surfaced, the common school districts were consolidated with an annexed to the better equipped independent districts. Bottoms, known as Childres CSD #16, came to Troy in 1939; Belfalls, Santa Fe CSD #81, Williamson Branch CSD #95, Cedar Creek CSD #6, and Pendleton CSD #66 came to Troy before or during 1949 and 1950, and Oenaville ISD joined the Troy system in 1958.

(This portion of Troy ISD's history was found in Bell County History Books.)
****More History to come...

Map

Non-Discrimination Act

The Troy Independent School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or handicap in providing education services, activities, and programs, including vocational programs, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended; and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Neil Jeter, Superintendent , has been designated to coordinate compliance with the nondiscrimination requirements of Title IX and of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Address: #1 Trojan Rd., Troy Texas 76579, 254-938-2595.